Friday 22 March 2019

Why Facebook isnt working.

Granya Australia (sold) 

Today I've been contemplating my decision to come off facebook as a personal page it's been about eights months now. Last week I had some extremely sad news from a friend and she had lost contact with me because I had come off facebook she found me via my business page, I'm glad she did find me and this has lead me to consider my actions in coming off the platform. I know I've missed out on many events and new opportunities but I've also missed out on some other things births, deaths, marriages for instance.
For the most part, Facebook is full of dreadful pictures of pets and dinners but it is also a way of connecting to those that mean most to you. My problem was I let it get out of hand and had too many people I didn't know. It was time-consuming and impersonal. 

So where does that leave me now am I about to announce my return? No, not yet I am still in two minds. I believe Facebook is a reflection of real life but magnified it gathers all the data on what you have been looking at online and feeds it back to you in the form of advertising and suggestions leaving little room for the friendships. I hear rumors that it is about to address these issues so I think I will wait until then.

I remember when I first started using Facebook in 2007/8 it was a brilliant way to reach back to my family when I was in Australia and likewise a brilliant way to keep up with friends when I came back to the UK. It was also a good tool to make new friends locally. In real life before social media we use to drift in and out of peoples lives and probably had a core group of people after social media we gather friends, find old school friends, add work friends, add anyone we meet at social gatherings and before you know it there's a huge mix. So it was a funny thing that when I use to open up my newsfeed it was full of people I didn't know Facebook suggested them to me based on what I look at generally which is art but my family are into sport, rambling, cycling, motorbikes all sorts of stuff I don't like so, in the end, Facebook for all its cleverness doesn't work because we are friends with people for other reasons than what we ourselves like to look at online! 

So after this revelation, I will continue to use it for business only and possibly keep missing out on things, but for my own sake, I think that is better than reading a timeline full of suggested stuff. so until Facebook get back to being more personal I will leave it for now.

I Need Your Help!


I've been working recently with Cromford Mills if you have time to help me gather some data for them to run creative workshops I'd be really grateful if you would fill out ten short questions on this survey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment