Saturday 25 April 2020

The chip shop obsession continues



Well, I'm working on being able to touch my toes, and I'm nearly getting there! Who would have thought that me the queen of sitting would be jumping about in the living room trying to do keep fit! I will spare you the actual image of this it's a strictly curtains drawn event! But progress has been made I can sit down on the floor and get up unaided! Silver linings eh!
Apart from my contortions in front of the TV, I have been contemplating what it takes for something to become a national icon and no I don't mean myself I mean the chip shop of course!
Last year I embarked on this mammoth project for my MA studies and I'm finally getting round to writing it all up. From my research it seems to boil down to a lot of us having the same emotions and memories, Chip shops have a continuity that goes back 160 years run by individuals, family businesses that serve us something that is unique to this country. Each area of the country have their different takes on it but essentially you can go anywhere in the UK and get a bag of chips to cheer you up. I know my Australian friends will insist that they have chippies but I can honestly say after I landed back in Blighty the taste of a soggy chip was the best day ever followed by standing barefoot on grass knowing there was no deadly spider underfoot!
Is this serious research I hear you ask? What is she going to do with a dissertation about chip shops? Well, I take heritage very seriously and I can tell you there's nothing more central to the British than the fact we are an island nation surrounded by the sea and full of green fields. In these apocalyptic times be comforted to know that potatoes will grow and fish will be caught and they will be battered and fried and eaten :) My research has uncovered the secret to us all surviving! Hey, it's not as far fetched as a dose of bleach followed by a quick sun bed session!!!!

So is she painting at all?
Yes, I'm painting I've just finished a lovely commission and started a new work a theme seems to be emerging again little back street businesses the sort you walk past they've always been there until they aren't.

Maycock's Butchers Overlane 40 x 40 cm

Clayton Engineering Belper in progress. 
So there you go a little update on all things in my world, yes I'm going slightly insane but in a good way! Keep occupied and carry on! Thank you for the replies to my chippy questions if you have any more observations or thoughts about what they mean to you please reply Australian fans if you have found a local chip shop that can make soggy chips I apologise and send my congratulations to the owner ... how hard can it be?
Anyway bye, for now, stay safe
Love
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment