Sunday 22 March 2020

Not the time for self pity.

Last week I wrote a blog post called the ABC of doom I have since deleted it because quite frankly it was a self-pity fest!  I was scared and panicked about the onset of this changing situation that has since last week completely engulfed all of us equally and for me to be only thinking of my situation as I was then is terrible because we are definitely all in this together.

My situation is that as a sufferer of rheumatoid arthritis I have to stay home and keep a distance this for me is not so difficult as by nature I'm a homebody and love nothing better than being inside writing or painting etc both activities that require vast amounts of silence and time. I'm also lucky that I have two beautiful boys that occupy themselves and apply themselves to homework without the need for nagging.

So far so good but although I'm a character that tries to find the positive side I do find that the prolonged amount of time ahead of us is quite overwhelming and if allowed to contemplate this prospect I can become quite sad. So I am actively practicing mindfulness and being in the now and knowing I can only control my own actions.

It's easy to become consumed by social media posts and I have found myself plunged back into Facebook/ Twitter as a way to keep in touch but it is with caution as others fears and sorrows can be catching as can other peoples ways of homeschooling and filling time all of a sudden there are experts on everything telling us we should use this or that resource or our kids will fall behind. I find myself wondering if I measure up to them.  But if our children do what their own school is recommending that's all that is needed my main concern is their mental well being as they adjust to all of this I'm not going to push them until they are ready.

I believe we should take a step back and assess how we alone truly feel about this situation and decide what is the best way we are going to cope before rushing into anything. This is so we can do the best thing by our own family and by extension the rest of society.

Art groups have each taken their own time to cancel their events we must have patience while we wait for the realities to dawn on individuals. This time last week it was unthinkable that we would be closing down pubs and cafes etc but the way I see it there is more to come and adjust we must and fast.

The hardest part is that the weather is improving and folk want to be out and about, if only it was pouring with rain we'd all stay home but like I say I can only control my own actions. People's personalities are going to be magnified at this time the selfish will be seen for what they are the kind will shine.

This blog post is really an outpouring of thoughts that are mine alone we each have our ways of coping and as usual art will be my crutch through this time. As an artist, it is my disposition to observe and contemplate the effects all this will have on us, so far I have seen some really positive actions taking place in the country for the collective and not the self this is encouraging. If you are feeling sad you won't be celebrating an anniversary, birthday or some such event remember it is not forever and ever but it is for now.  Patience and kindness is required with each other and for each other.





No comments:

Post a Comment