Sunday 4 August 2019

Summer update.

Its the summer holidays but things have not slowed down at all. I have finished most of my university work for this year, I just need to read through what I have written. I have been working at a museum in Rotherham the last couple of weeks and next week I will be working for City Arts in Nottingham. I love the variety of my freelance heritage work I get to meet lots of interesting people and see how things work behind the scenes of some great places. In a few days, I also start my volunteer work for Strutts North Mill which will fit in well with my sons' school as it is across the road.

This time of year I tend to look at my website and branding and see what needs changing this year I have allowed everything to slip as I have been studying so my profile pictures and marketing materials were all looking tired and uncoordinated and in the times in between work I have redesigned my logo and ordered all my postcards business cards banners etc for my stall and I can't wait to test them all out in the next few weeks. I have used my favorite painting as a backdrop image and thought about which aspects of my work I most want to promote so I've used those as my tag line.


I have also spent a lot of time sifting through the nightmare that is my art room I seemed to have created a cocoon of chaos where there was only enough room to step to my chair the rest of the space was piled with boxes. After several trips to IKEA and flat-pack hell, I have sort of improved the situation what I really need to do is have a studio clearance at some point. I have thought also about decorating the space changing it all to white but the thought of the task of taking all my stuff out of there and putting it back....... this is probably why artist studios are so interesting I'm thinking Francis Bacon!
Image result for francis bacon studio
Francis Bacon in his studio.

As for new work I have been very lucky to have had commissions to complete so those have kept me busy painting wise but I can't share them until they have been given as gifts.
I'm hoping to get away for a few days soon just to get out of the house as if I'm home I'm working it's very difficult to switch off when you are self-employed and I just want to spend time with my kids before they have beards!

I have a couple of selling events coming up where you can come and say hello if you wish I will be at Belper farmers market August 10th and Swarkston Nursery August 17th and 18th.
I will also be at Purple and Grey Art Group August 7th and 21st Tansley Village Hall so you are welcome to join us for our morning art group.
Hope to see you soon!
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment