Tuesday 18 September 2018

One Month Later off Facebook

So about one month ago I totally deleted my personal face book account I had to create a holding account to run my pages but that now only connects to immediate family, but over 1300 people have disappeared!

What has happened to me since?
The first week was hard as I kept wondering what so and so was having for diner and if that person I made friends with in New York was going to buy her shoes or not or become a minimalist?
But by week two I realised that those that are bothered about me and those who I am bothered about will contact me when they need me and I don't need to sit for three hours scrolling through time lines full of other peoples kids when I have my own!
It made me wonder why I have been doing that anyway a strange thing when you think about it!

 I've written a few letters to friends and family had some lovely personal emails sent to me I even called in on someone on the off chance they might be in how 1989 is that! and when I have met up with people I find I am asking them how they are what they have been doing the conversation is full of surprises and I haven't uttered the words 'Oh yeah I saw that' and because its just family on my face book now I can see what they are up too (which seems to consist of drinking beer!)
But that is what it was set up for in the first place but over the last ten years face book has grown and grown until its completely overwhelming if not kept in check.

So am I social media free?
No because theres twitter! Now that is another thing all together but I love it short sharp and to the point Ive created lots of lists , galleries and artists I love. Also im  a newshound so I love tracking the demise of Trump its better than any soap. Its a great way to stay informed so long as you don't create yourself a bubble and read all around the stories. Twitter has always been my favourite platform and Ive gotten alot of work from it.

Instagram is good too because its also to the point I can post a picture and keep up to date with friends without getting embroiled in adverts and notifications etc.. I know folk who pour their heart out and write essays on Instagram but the thing is you can scroll without seeing it all if you don't want to. I tend to follow artists only so I do see lots of amazing artwork very quickly!

So one month on and I have no regrets at all I know who my friends are because they have emailed rang or messaged me or found me via Instagram its the best thing Ive done, no more seeing those cryptic posts meant for that certain 'friend'  or political rants meant to change our minds if theres one thing I don't miss its the virtue signalling empty acts of commitment to good causes you know the ones they are coming up soon ' I'm not sending Christmas cards this year.... instead I'm going to save the trees while I sit next to my wood burner and scroll through your timeline' 

No its all good I'm glad I ditched it and can now spend more time writing blogs about how good it is not being on face book and then upload it to my Face book business page because of course I still have that!

Anyway to take up my time Ive joined the Green Party, Ive joined the local History society and started my University MA so Ive taken myself in new directions to meet new people to help give me new ideas to create art from and that is what its all about after all gaining new inspiration and learning new things.

If we keep doing the same we stay the same and we keep creating the same.

The next blog will have some art! If you want to see me in person I'm at Duffield Art Festival this weekend Id love to say hello!



No comments:

Post a Comment