Friday 5 April 2013

Working Around Easter


There's not much hope of me doing anything amazing this week or next! Its the Easter holidays so I'm surrounded by my family. 'Mum fetch me an egg, mum whens diner, where's this where's that?'
In between I've found a few minutes to work on some pencil sketches Whitby Abbey above and The River Wye below.

These are interesting to me as they have turned old photographs into a larger size changed their colour and simplified the view whether I develop them into paintings in the future who knows! The photos are twenty years old so there's no rush!

Research has started for my new project for some reason I now have an obsession with wanting to paint the local market towns you know the ones that are a bit tired and a bit tense to walk around alone at night at 40! But great fun when you are young and drinking.

More will be revealed in the coming year but it involves a trip to Crich Tramway museum's research library and I've already taken 160 photos along a well known route. The kids thought we were going somewhere exciting and we did the A610!

 
I don't know why I do it to myself I could just paint pretty pictures of things people want to buy! But my challenge is to make the everyday interesting and working out an approach to do that is taking up my days right now.
I picked up a catalogue from The Erewash Museum in Ilkeston yesterday 100 years of Ilkeston Arts Club and the paintings that are in it from the 1930s 40s and 50s are of the everyday towns and the history shown in those pictures spoke more to me than anything I've seen of late. We learn more about our past from art than anything else and the paintings are more interesting now probably than they were then because then they depicted what everyone else could see but now they are like a snap shot of the past.
 
Anyway I've got to go there's a  child yelling at me who wants his breakfast!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment